Black Otter is looking for someone to cook on trips this summer and fall. The ideal candidate wants to learn about the outfitting business, thrives in the outdoors, wants to meet people, likes to work in a team and prepare delicious home-cooked meals on a wood stove. The schedule is flexible depending on availability. Trips are 4 to 7 days from July 1 – December 1, 2022. Offering hunting and summer pack trips for over 50 years, Black Otter is located in Paradise Valley, MT. We have a great time working hard to make the best experience for our clients. Visit www.blackotterguideservice.com to learn more.
Duties and Responsibilities: Backcountry Camp Cook
- is responsible for providing three meals per day for clients and guides.
- chops wood for the wood stove where the cooking will be done.
- provides good, home-cooked meals including appetizers, salads, main dishes, side dishes and desserts.
- helps pack food and supplies for trips when they are not in camp.
- maintains a clean cooking space and camp, including burning trash completely and collecting trash that is not burnable for packing out or hanging trash that has not been burned, washing dishes with bleach in the rinse water and air drying them.
- stays in camp unless all food/trash has been hung on the meat pole or electric fence has been setup and makes sure that all food/trash is either hung on the meat pole or the electric fence setup at night.
- treats drinking water using UV irradiation and labels it clearly.
- will follow the Safety, Food Storage and Visitor Orientation Plans.
- drive a truck and trailer to the trailhead with stock when needed.
- fulfill other duties as assigned.
The Successful Candidate Will
- conduct themselves in a professional manner.
- take initiative to do what needs to be done without being told.
- ask for clarification if directions aren’t clear.
- provide meals in a timely manner.
- adapt to the ingredients that are available.
- keep an accurate inventory of food in camp as well as what is needed for the next trip.
- be conscientious about the cleanliness of dishes, pots, pans and the cook tent itself.
Interested? Fill out this form and we’ll reach out to you. If you have questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org.