Looking for a fun and exciting backcountry experience? BLACK OTTER GUIDE SERVICE is looking for a camp cook to join our team starting September 1st. Offering hunting and summer pack trips for over 50 years, Black Otter is looking for someone who enjoys the outdoors, likes being part of a team, wants to meet people and provide good, home-cooked meals for pack trips, archery and rifle hunting in beautiful Paradise Valley. Backcountry cooking experience preferred by not required. The camp is accessed via horseback so some experience with horses is ideal. It’s the hardest job in camp but really rewarding and fun!
End date depends on our bookings but could go until Dec 1st. There will be an opportunity to do a training from Aug 1 -4th.
Email/messenger inquires only. We will follow-up to schedule an interview in Pray, Montana.
Duties and Responsibilities: The camp cook
- is responsible for providing three meals per day for clients and guides.
- chops wood for the wood stove where the cooking will be done.
- provides good, home-cooked meals including appetizers, salads, main dishes, side dishes and desserts.
- helps pack food and supplies for trips when they are not in camp.
- maintains a clean cooking space and camp.
- practices bear safety.
- fulfill other duties as assigned.
The Successful Candidate Will
- conduct themselves in a professional manner.
- provide meals in a timely manner.
- adapt to the ingredients that are available.
- keep an accurate inventory of food in camp as well as what is needed for the next trip.
- be conscientious about the cleanliness of dishes, pots, pans and the cook tent itself.
|Required Qualifications: Experience with cooking on a woodstove.Experience managing a set menu and cooking with limited supplies.Must have a valid driver’s license.||Physical Demands: Successful candidates must be able to regularly lift at least 50 lbs (saddle) to 70 lbs (pack boxes).ride horseback for extended amounts of time (~6 hours).|
Black Otter Will Provide
- a horse, tent, cot and foam pad.
- menu that can be adjusted for the cook’s preference, all ingredients and kitchen supplies.
- training for cooking on a wood stove, cleanliness protocols and bear safety guidelines.